Thursday, June 21, 2012

Accessing Grade Level Books- Adapted Chapter Books

     This past year I attended a wonderful researched based workshop on adapting chapter books. These adapted chapter books allow students with significant disabilities to participate in grade level texts. These books usually range from a few sentences to one page per chapter. It it uses picture symbols above words or real life pictures to enhance meaning. The text is simplified, but it follows the basic story and you can teach new vocabulary. This is great for inclusion too. The student can participate in grade level activities and have some idea of what the book is about.

   A chapter book can take 2-3 weeks to complete. First I make vocabulary cards with pictures and I also use the internet for vocabulary words.Then I start with the adapted version and then listened to regular version on tape and then we watch the movie. I use character webbs and all kinds of visuals as we go through the book. I was very surprised by how much my students were engaged and excited each day. I was very impressed with their comprehension skills. I actually used these books to the state alternative test.

Here are a couple of websites that have books already made:

  Here are webinars on teaching on teaching reading with adapted books:
http://idahotc.com/Webinars/tabid/218/categoryid/26/Default.aspx













No comments:

Post a Comment